Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

Main Army : Gondor

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Staff Member MoMe Award Winner - Best Painter/Converter

Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? Empty
PostSubject: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Who or what do you think should NOT have been left out of the movies.

Who - Glorfindel/Tom Bombadil
What - Scourging of the Shire and the Barrow Downs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightofmiddleearth.com
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Scouring of the shire was dispoitning but i can understand why they left it out and Tom Bombadil i still say they made the right choice to leave him out.
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Staff Member MoMe Award Winner - Best Painter/Converter

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Sure it would have made the film longer but I still think both of them are key parts of the book, and the Barrow Downs is one of the best parts. Not to mention Tom Bombadil is one of the most mysterious characters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightofmiddleearth.com
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 7:41 am

The problem is that while Tom Bom can be cut out without lossing that much, you can't do the Barrow Downs without him, and the Barrow Downs are of vital importance, and thus retroactively, so is Tom Bom.

Scouring of the Shire should definately have been left in (not only is it a vital part of the book, but we'd get to see more of Christopher Lee Razz )
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Well, Tom Bombadil is kind of an enigma and a bit hard to explain in a movie. It would utterly confuse half the audience as to why someone so powerful wouldn't just help them and kind of ruin the world for them anyway. As in what's the point when there's just some unbeatable person. Plus actually recreating him removes some of his enigma and characterises him. To Jackson, it would have just been unnesecary complication, for what? An extra 10/20 minutes that's not even related to the rest of the story?
And with Scouring of the Shire, it kind of muddies the clean and happy ending that the film wanted to portray.
Not saying those absences are right, but they're understandable to some extent.

Glorfindel definitely should have been in (though I understand they wanted to include Arwen more) and also would have liked to see some more of Sauron's men like the Haradrim or Easterlings who are really only in one scene (or two in the case of the Mumak).
On the other hand, Haldir's death should have been left out though i don't have a problem so much with the elves Wink

Would have been really interesting to see some of the other wars going on, like the Dwarven/Dale stand.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:35 am

Leaving out the Scouring may have made the ending 'happier' but it also made it feel more rushed. As it stands, the last 10 or so minutes of RotK is just a series of endings. If they'd drawn it out a bit more the pacing would have had a nice wind down from the Epic adventure to the Personal adventure and would have helped tie up the story nicely, and would have helped show that it's not just the soldiers who suffer in war.
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:09 am

I agree with Dinada, also becuase the LOTR is one of the few stories where the hero comes back home and it isn't all happy and dandy, even though evil has fallen in the rest of the world, Frodo finds the poison has reached the Shire. Such a great concept shouldn't have been left out in my opinion.

Radagast is a "useless" character as he "doesn't do anything" but it would have been cool for him to give Gandalf Saruman's message and seeing him here and there (maybe Rivendell) but Dwarves really should have been there more. All you see is Gimli, his entourage and corpses... That would have been a lot of midgets to hire though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Racssirt
Resident Tech Whizz
Resident Tech Whizz

Racssirt

Main Army : Isengard Uruk-Hai

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Article Writer Token of Appreciation - For your Technical Work

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 5:30 am

Tom Bom is one of my favourite characters, and I was disappointed when they left him out of the film. That said, PJ would've had a hard job casting him just right and a character like TB needs to be perfect or is better off being left out.
Back to top Go down
http://alt-f4.proboards.com/
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

Main Army : Khand

MoMe Award Winner - Best Signature/Avatar One That Sees From Afar

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 am

Radagastbird wrote:
but Dwarves really should have been there more. All you see is Gimli, his entourage and corpses... That would have been a lot of midgets to hire though Laughing

Just wait for The Hobbit! You'll see an army of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy!
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Radagastbird wrote:

Radagast is a "useless" character as he "doesn't do anything" but it would have been cool for him to give Gandalf Saruman's message and seeing him here and there (maybe Rivendell)
Personally I think it would have been better if he'd been left in to help explain Gwahir comming to Gandalf's rescue rather than Gandalf just talking to a moth and the Eagle king showing up.
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 7:11 am

Yes, I agree, Radagast is a LOT better than a moth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alfirin
Farmer
Farmer

Alfirin

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 am

I agree that leaving out Tom (and the Barrow Downs for that matter) was probably a wise choice. Leaving Ghan-buri-ghan out was probably also wise, considering non-Tolkienites already had to deal with the creepiness/confusion of the Army of the Dead. I would have really liked to see Prince Imrahil, however. I think he would have been a useful if indirect foil for Denethor, although that might have been stepping on Faramir's toes so to speak.
Back to top Go down
http://www.planetfenris.blogspot.com/
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Strange thing is, they removed Imrahil and Beregond, but created a new character to fill their roles (a blonde Citadel Guard). Why they couldn't just use one of the canon characters and just add elements of the other is a mystery O.o
Back to top Go down
Alfirin
Farmer
Farmer

Alfirin

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

That is odd. I must say, though, I don't care for Glorfindel getting bundled into Arwen. I also though Liv Tyler was a rare miscast in the trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 4:40 pm

At least she's better than the women they cast as Arwen in the The Hunt for Gollum fan film :/
Back to top Go down
Alfirin
Farmer
Farmer

Alfirin

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Eh . . . not by too much. Whenever I watch the films, I can only think of a certain scene from Armageddon involving animal crackers. I think they would have done better with a relatively unknown like Miranda Otto. Someone with a more intelligent-looking face, I'd say, not so porcine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?   Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who/What shouldn't have been left out of the movies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top