Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

[House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

[House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor Empty
PostSubject: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 am

The books don't give us much info on the structure of the Numenorean army, so I thought it'd be interesting to base it on the structure of the Republican Roman army. Below is my attempt at showing this.

Name F S D A W CMight Will Fate Pts
Numenorean Lord6/4+ 4 4 2 2 62 2 2 75
Equipment: A Numenorean Lord carries a Numenorean Longsword, and may be given the following -
Heavy Armour: 10pts
Tower Shield: 10pts
Horse: 10pts
Armoured Horse: 15pts

Numenorean Centurion 5/4+ 46 2 25 2 2 1 70
Equipment: A Centurion carries a Numenorean Longsword and wears Heavy armour. He may also be given:
Tower Shield: 10pts
Steel Bow: 5pts
Horse: 10pts
Armoured Horse: 15pts
Hasta: 5pts

Special Rules: Maniple

Hatatus 3/- 36 1 1 4 -- - 11
Equipment: A Hastus carries a hand weapon and a tower shield and wears armour. He may be given:
Banner: 28pts (loses tower shield)
Horn: 20pts

Special rules: Maniple

Princip 4/- 3 7 1 14 - - - 15
Equipment: A Princips carries a hand weapon, a Hasta and a tower shield, and wears heavy armour. He may be given:
Banner: 25pts (loses hasta and tower shield)
Horn: 20pts

Triarius 5/- 47 1 1 5- - - 18
Equipment A Triarius carries a handweapon, a Hasta and a Tower shield, and wears heavy armour.

King's Bowman 3/4+ 34 1 1 4- -- 10
Equipment: A King's Bowman carries a handweapon and a steel bow and wears armour.

Armoury of Numenor
Numenorean Longsword - counts as an Elven Blade
Tower Shield - counts as a shield, except it adds +2 to defence instead of +1
Hasta - counts as a spear, except a hasta armed model may support through another hasta armed model as if it were armed with a pike (i.e. if you have a model in combat and a hasta armed model supporting it, another hasta armed model may move into base to base with the supporter to give an extra attack to the fighting model, but if the second model was only armed with a normal spear or pike, then the combatant would not be able to benefit from the third models suppost).
Steel Bow - counts as a bow for the purposes of bow limit. Has a range of 30" and vaiable strength; at ranges over 15", it has a strength of 2, but at 15" and under a strength of 3.

Combat Techniques of Numenor
Maniple - The maniple fights in a unique way and as such has special rules.
1) You must have at least one Hastatus for each Princip when building your army
2) You must have at least one Pricip for each Triarius when building your army
3) If a model with the maniple rule is being supported in combat by another with the maniple rule instead of making way, the supporter may stay where he is and instead the combatant ismoved to the opposite side of the supporter, provided there is enough room. If the support is himself being supported by another friend with the maniple rule (e.g. hasta armed friend with the maniple rule), then the combatant may be moved to the other side of both provided there is room. However, this cannont be done with 3 or more, as only a maximum of two models may support. If retreating in this way, the combatant must be placed in base contact with the rearmost of his supporters. See diagram below for clarification;

OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

O are Orcs
O are Hastatii
O is an Hastua
O are Princips
O are Trarii

If O loses a combat, normally he would be trapped, but because he has the Maniple rule, and both his supporters have the maniple rule he may instead be moved so he is in base contact with the Triarius supporting him. If the row of Triarii weren't there, then [color=orange[/color] has the option of either moving to the other side of the supporting Princips, or of the Princips making way for him as normal

I'll add LoMe style army lists and more profiles later.

C&C most welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:20 am

I'm quite confused by the 'Maniple' Special Rule, does the retreating model replace the model opposite the 'supporting' line? Would you mind explaining Smile
Back to top Go down
Corsair
Warrior
Warrior

Corsair

Main Army : All Armies

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Article Writer

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 am

Roman derived troop names i see! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.freeforum101.com/lotrsbg
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 7:01 am

Triarri, Hastari, Principals. Nice names tho i wonder why there are no Gladiators or Arcani
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 am

Radagastbird wrote:
I'm quite confused by the 'Maniple' Special Rule, does the retreating model replace the model opposite the 'supporting' line? Would you mind explaining Smile
I admit I haven't worded it that clearly, sorry. What I mean is if you have

O
O
O
O

Where O is an Orc (for example) and the other three are Maniple warriors, then if O loses the fight against O, then instead of O being trapped, you would get:

O

O
O
O

Effectively, the fighting model moves 3" back instead of 1", passing through the models supporting him. This is supposed to represent the real world maniple formation's aility for the front rank to retreat from combat through the supporting units.

Corsair wrote:
Roman derived troop names i see! Smile
Yep. As there is no info on the Numenorean combat doctrine, I thought it would be kinda cool to base it on the Republican Roman one, and as such I thought I might as well use the associated Roman names for the different parts of the maniple formation Wink
Back to top Go down
Corsair
Warrior
Warrior

Corsair

Main Army : All Armies

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Article Writer

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 3:53 am

Oh i really like them hehe. just don't let the spear rules and whatever get too complex lol hehe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freeforum101.com/lotrsbg
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 am

Corsair wrote:
Oh i really like them hehe. just don't let the spear rules and whatever get too complex lol hehe.
To be honest they're not that complex, I just suck at wording them in a clear way. Razz
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 am

Now I get it, its not that hard to grasp, its probably just me 🐰
Back to top Go down
Hirumith, the Grey Knight
Farmer
Farmer

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 9:02 am

This is a really cool idea! I also think it's especially fitting, given that the Numenoreans' look at the Last Alliance in the films obviously borrowed from Romans.

It's a very cool idea, however I do think that if possible you (or we, really whoever) should try to come up with some more "Numenorean" sounding names for the troop types/formations, or even just more generic medieval/fantasy names. That way, even though the combat doctrines would be Roman in the way they work, the overall "feel" of the list wouldn't feel so derived.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor   [House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor Empty

Back to top Go down

[House Rules][SBG] The Army of Numenor

View previous topic View next topic Back to top