Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Furry article on BBC News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

Furry article on BBC News Empty
PostSubject: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 4:12 am

Link Not sure what to make of this - on the one hand it does point out that just because the two people who tried to commit murder met through a furry website doesn't mean that being furry is to blame, but on the other hand I'd say that it focuses too much on the fursuiting side of the fandom :/
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

Main Army : Khand

MoMe Award Winner - Best Signature/Avatar One That Sees From Afar

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:14 am

Every article, TV show, clip, and so forth made by the media always focuses on the 'suiters and not the fandom at large. I've grown to accept and expect that. This was a decent read though, and shed a neutral viewpoint on the subject I think, rather than a bad one.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 6:44 pm

we can only immagine what people like the daily mail would have said!!!!
I don't know why is so bad. I think everyone has a bit a furry in them somewhere. I mean hell almost every person my age has had some sort of cartoon crush on a furry charature. Do i have to point to Washu from "Ahrisha Law" or maybe Sally form "Sonic Sat AM".
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Exactly jaws! Everywhere I look I see anthropomorphic animals doing our advertising for us, so why not go that tiny step further?

The retort I use whenever I get anti-fur comments in public for wearing my tail is "At least I have imagination and haven't devolved into yet another cog in the monotony of corprate society." Usually shuts 'em up Wink
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:26 pm

Probably works better now that you no longer work at McDonalds Rolling Eyes

Being serious - it actually goes even deeper than that. Anthropormorphising animals goes way way back - just think of all the fables and fairy stories where animals are the protagonists and antagonists. Even the concept of transforming into an animal is a trope that's Older Than Dirt - e.g. lycanthrope is derived from the name of a king in Greek myth who was turned into a wolf as a punishment by the gods, and most, if not the entire, of the Egyptian pantheon was partially animal in some way aswell as having a fully animal form/representation/symbol/etc.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 7:35 pm

and lets not foreget all the moives. Werewolfs, Talking animals(Thank you disney) and many others. Not to mention the playboy bunnys and cat girls. If you had no furry in you you wouldn't find them attractive.
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 12:40 am

I've noticed quite a lot of anti-furry flak myself (being rather open about my involvement in the fandom) even in a small town like mine. I'd go to the grocery store wearing my tail and get a lot of "yiff in hell furfag" and other such comments.

I respond quite casually that I am "expressing the very rights our founding fathers fought and died for, rather than conforming to media driven stereotypes and trends", since the majority of those giving me flak are either rednecks to the max or wanna be gangsters with too large shirts, trousers with the waist worn down at their knees, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 am

To e honest Fen, considering where you live I'd be suprised if you got zero flak from people you meet in day-to-day life Razz
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 am

*Burn!!!* Laughing

I set some weird looks now and then too. I would often walk to my Taekwondo lessons in my gear. I also dressed up as Saruman for a fancy dress day once and I came in holding the staff and carrying it around with. I thought i might have to walk home as i thought the bus driver wouldn't let me on (Just as well i didn't bring Sting with me too)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Furry article on BBC News   Furry article on BBC News Empty

Back to top Go down

Furry article on BBC News

View previous topic View next topic Back to top