Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

[Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

[Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles Empty
PostSubject: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 pm

So looking through the LoME book, I decided to try and come up with rules to use the missing troops, even if I don't have the model options to at the minute. I'm no longer so concerned about official rules and such, because let's face it, GW's not promoting the SBG heavily anymore and the majority of games are just going to be friendly ones. So I want to create solid, fun, balanced rules, and I'd like your input.
For the most part I'm trying to keep to the assigned points limits and options listed in LoME, though I'm getting the idea some may need to be tweaked.

Here's the list of models I came up with (please inform me of others that I have missed):

The Elven Havens
Guardian of the Havens - 13 pts.
Elf Knight - 20 (Might need a points drop if it's just an Elf Warrior on horse)
Elf Ranger - 11
Celembrimbor - 140
Elf Chariot - 30 (Don't know about these. They don't feel right)
Elf War Catapult - 100

The Woodland Realms
Galadhrim Pathwalker - 13 (May have been the original intention for the Guards. Scout role kinda filled by Sentinels?)
Galadhrim Siege Catapult - 95
Quickbone - 140
Beechbone - 140
Huorn - 50

Rohan
Helm Hammerhand - 100
Helm's Guard - 10

Eagles
Landroval - 100 (Major points issue here, with only 10 more points than a Great Eagle but with heroic characteristics)
Meneldor - 100

Guardians of the Carrock
Grimbeorn - 65 (I'm thinking just keep them in bear form?)
Beorning - 8

Isengard
Royalblood Chieftan of Dunland - 70
Royalblood Huscarl - 9
Dunland Beserker - 11
Dunelnding Horseman - 11 (Not sure if Dunlendings would use a standing cavalry. Depends if you base them on Saxons or not?)

Bastions of the Dark Lord
Werewolf - 50 (Like Wild Warg Chieftan?)
Black-Hearted Tree - 50 (Same as Huorn?)

The Eastern Realms
Easterling King - 65
Dragon Guard - 10

Easterling Siege Bow - 60
Keiseimu, Ravager of Ithilien - 95

The Southlands
Corsair Ballista - 65

Monsters of Middle Earth
Cave Drake - 150 (Weak dragon with no upgrades)
Stone Giant - 250

Last edited by Cal585 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:39 pm

So these are the profiles I've had a go at so far:

Elf Ranger: 11 pts
Elven Rangers are lightly armoured and are able to slip through terrain with ease. Their woodcraft exceeds even that of their kin and they are consummate scouts and trackers.
| F || S || D || A || W || C |
5/3+ 3 4 1 1 5
Wargear: An Elf Ranger is equipped with a Elven Blade, an Elf Bow and Elven Armour.
Special Rule: Woodland Creature.

Helm Hammerhand: 100 pts
Helm was the legendary ninth King of Rohan, after which the fortress of Helm’s Deep was named. Helm gained the title of Hammerhand after slaying Freca with one blow from his fist.
| F || S || D || A || W || C ||| M || W || F |
6/- 5 6 2 2 5 | 3 2 2
Wargear: Heavy Armour and Sword. He also carries the Horn of the Hammerhand. At an additional cost he may be equipped with the following:
Horse...................................................................................................... 10 pts
Special Rules: Expert Rider.
Horn of the Hammerhand. The Horn of the Hammerhand is a legendary item, spiking terror into the hearts of foes and inspiring men to victory. Once per game, at the beginning of any Fight phase, Helm may blow the Horn of the Hammerhand. For the duration of that fight, any Rohan models on the battlefield count as being within 3”/8cm of a banner. In addition, Helm counts as causing Terror until the end of the next turn.

Helm's Guard: 10 pts
Hand-picked from the best of the warriors of Rohan, they are dedicated unto death of their King, Helm Hammerhand.
4/- 3 6 1 1 3
Wargear: A warrior of Helm's Guard is equipped with a Heavy Armour, a Shield and a Sword. Any warrior may be given additional equipment at the following cost:
Banner............................................................................................................................ 30 pts
Horse.............................................................................................................................. 6 pts
Special Rules: Expert Rider.
The King’s Guard. If Helm Hammerhand is on the table, the Guard will automatically pass any courage tests they have to take. If Helm is killed or leaves the table, the Guard revert back to the normal rules for courage. In addition, such is the loyalty and dedication of the Guard, that they will redouble their efforts when protecting their liege. To represent this, all Helm’s Guard always count as being within the area of effect of a banner if Helm Hammerhand is within 12”/28cm.

Royalblood Chieftan of Dunland: 70 pts
Chieftans of Dunland are common, but Royalbloods are rare indeed. Mighty, charismatic men, they have been able to unify the Dunlendings under a single banner against the hated Rohirrim.
5/- 4 6 2 2 5 | 2 3 2
Wargear: Battered and worn Heavy Armour and a Hand Weapon. At an additional cost he may be equipped with the following:
Horse...................................................................................................... 10 pts
Shield...................................................................................................... 5 pts
Two-handed weapon.............................................................................. 5 pts

Royalblood Huscarl: 9 pts
While the majority of Dunlendings are a fierce but untrained rabble, the Royalblood Huscarls are professional soldiers, experienced in melee and dedicated to their lords.
4/- 3 5 1 1 4
Wargear: A Royalblood Huscarl is equipped with a Hand Weapon and Worn and Battered Armour. Any warrior may be given additional equipment at the following cost:
Two-handed weapon..................................................................................................... 1 pt
Shield............................................................................................................................. 1 pt
Banner........................................................................................................................... 25 pts
Special Rules: Bodyguard.

Dunland Beserker: 11 pts
Dunlending Beserkers combine a fierce hatred with an uncaring view of their own lives. Instead, they live to fall in battle, taking as many enemies as possible and reaping glory and renown.
4/- 3 5 2 1 5
Wargear: A Dunland Beserker is equipped with a Two-Handed Weapon and Worn and Battered Armour.

Dunlending Horseman: 11 pts
Some of the richer or luckier Dunlendings may own horses upon which they ride to war. Often these are spoils of war, plunder taken from Rohan villages.
3/4+ 3 4 1 1 3
Wargear: A Dunlending Horseman is equipped with a Hand Weapon and Worn and Battered Armour as well as a horse. Any warrior may be given additional equipment at the following cost:
Shield................................................................................................................................ 1 pt
Bow................................................................................................................................... 1 pt

Easterling King: 65 pts
The Easterling Kings are fiercely proud of their strength and are often attempting to expand the borders of their own realm.
5/- 4 6 2 2 5 | 2 2 1
Wargear: An Easterling King is equipped with Heavy Armour and a Sword. At an additional cost he may be equipped with the following:
Easterling Halberd.................................................................................................................... 5 pts
Shield........................................................................................................................................ 5 pts
Armoured Horse....................................................................................................................... 15 pts

Dragon Guard: 10 pts
The Dragon Guard are the epitome of the warrior image. Highly skilled swordsmen, they are highly sought after by the Easterling Kings for protection as well as champions.
5/- 3 5 1 1 3
Wargear: A Dragon Guard is equipped with Heavy Armour and a Sword. Any warrior may be given additional equipment at the following cost:
Easterling Halberd.......................................................................................................... 1 pt
Special Rules: Bodyguard.

Last edited by Cal585 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Skim reading, those look fairly good - will give them a closer look later when I've got time Wink
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I like most of them but i think the Helm's Guard and Helm Hammerhand are a little too cheap and strong. I think the Helms guard should go up by 2 pts atleast as a fantastic stat line and a banner/bodyguard duel effect is over powered for there cost.
Also i think Hammerhand should have a standard strength of 4 not 5. Few peopel in the good force ever have that much strength and only Forlon g and Galdalf(sword) have a strength of 5.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback Smile

I might drop the Helm's Guard courage to 3, forgotten it was 4 (and can't remember why it was)... Basically Helm's Guard are essentially Rohan Royal Guard with their bodyguard restricted to Helm and their equipment restricted but given the banner bonus (taken from Imrahil) to make up for it. Though I could halve the range.

As for Helm himself, I did make a mistake. I originally based him on Erkenbrand, but after looking at the film's statue of him, decided to take away the shield. I gave him strength 5 because his strength was his legacy. It's the same as a Uruk captain which I thought fitting. By the time of his death, his strength was greatly feared by the Dunlendings and there were rumours spreading that he fought and killed with his bare hands.
I don't think he's particularly underpriced either. But for an extra fight value and strength, he has the same profile as Eomer, but with the Horn (Erkenbrand plus terror) and without the additional options. Ideally, he would become Rohan's powerhouse hero, stronger than Theoden/Eomer etc.

I've tried to work out profiles by basing it on something similar and adjusting stats, 5 points for normal characteristics, 10 for heroic ones (or 1 for warriors). The problem is that it seems to depend on what profile you base on as to how cost effective the hero works out.

And feel free to submit profiles for the other options.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 am

Here's my assesment for them -

Elf Ranger: Seems like a redundant profile, but admitantly, all I can think of is dropping the armour and/or blade for something else. All I can think of to make up those points special rule wise is to have something like they don't have the 1/2 move to shoot penalty, but that's a bit overpowered. Possibly an F boost like the RoG, but again that's going a bit far in my opinion :/

Helm: Looks fair and balanced, although there looks to be an error in his wargear. With heavy armour and shield he should have D7, not D6 (D4, basic +2 for heavy armour, +1 for shield), and should cost 5pts more. Instead of a horse, I'd recomend giving him the option for a Meras (remember Shaddowfax was decended from the personal horses of the Kings of Rohan, so it's almost cirtain that Helm would have rode a Meras)

Helm's Guard: Profile's ok, but they're underpriced - they cost the same as RRG, but have better courage and the banner rule. I'd recomend bumping them to 12pts.

Royal Blood Chieftain: Looks good and fits well with the regular chieftain.

Huscarls: Looks good to me Smile

Berserker: Looks good to me Smile

Dunlendling horseman: I'd recommend dropping the points to 10 - compared to a RoR, they're loossing the bow, the shield, and Expert Rider, so being 3pts less is fairer than 2pts less.

Easterling King: Looks good to me. Smile

Dragon Guard: Loks good to me Smile

Overall, I'd say you've given fair and balanced rules - Good Job Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Sorry, I've now corrected Helm and the Guard. Helm does not have a shield and is only defence 6. Just forgot to remove that from the wording. Now Helm's Guard are the same as Royal Guard, but restricted to Helm and restricted in wargear, but the banner rule makes up for that.

Yeah, I didn't know what to do with the Elf Ranger either. The only thing I could think of is that it's in list with only Heavy Armour High Elves, hence why I gave them standard Armour. I want them to have the Elven Blade + Elf Bow combination, even if they don't pay for the blade. I was tempted to give them and Elven Cloak or the ability to buy one, but I've tried to stick by the stats given in LoME as much as possible. However, to make it effective, I think it would probably need an Elven Cloak in their standard wargear but also a price rise of 5 points or something?

Again, the Dunlending Horseman is the same points as listed in LoME. I wasn't sure whether to modify the stats any from the Dunlending Warriors, because at the moment, they're getting a horse for 3 points. They can also buy a bow or shield if they want. The extra attack was a mistake though, carried from the Beserker profile.

I was tossing up with the Dragon Guard about whether they should be FV 5 and C 3 or FV 4 and C 4. Figured in the end with the bodyguard rule that fight value was going to be more important, and better portrayed their roles as sword experts. Plus other bodyguard units like RRG/GotFC/CG all had C 3.

Thanks for the kind feedback! Smile
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with Dinadan about the Elf Rangers being sort of redundant, perhaps they could have a 'deployment ' type special rule similar to Madril's?

The Helm profiles look ok, although I'd suggest switching a point of fate for a point of will/courage.

Should the Huscarls be C3? - seeing as they hold an advantage over RRG but being only a point of defence cheaper - and seeing as most 'Bodyguard' ubits also have C3.

Overal though the profiles are good - a nice start Smile
Back to top Go down
Hirumith, the Grey Knight
Farmer
Farmer

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 8:56 am

I like the profiles, especially the expanded Dunlending stuff (Helm Hammerhand looks great too - very characterful!).

One thing that I might change (and this is assuming that Dunlending berserkers are intended to be based on Viking berserkers) is lower their defense, but then give them a special rule that offers an 5+ saving throw against any wound suffered. I know that there's a precedence for just giving them a high defense (Uruk berserkers), so the way you have it set up is more internally consistent, the saving throw is just an idea that I came up with the other day and thought might be more fitting, representing their ability to shrug off wounds (similar to the spell "fury").
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles   [Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles Empty

Back to top Go down

[Houserules] LoME Missing Profiles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top