Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Alternative Corsairs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Alternative Corsairs? Empty
PostSubject: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Not sure where to post this. Here or 'Other Manufacturers' or something.

Anyway, I'm interested in creating a Corsair raiding party but I dislike the standard Corsair models. I don't mind the metal models like the Captain/Bosun/Arablesters, but to me the plastics look really revearish and the sculpts look so-so. I'm more interested in an autonomous raiding party that has set out for themselves and to strike riches etc. rather than slaughter for the fun of it feel I get looking at the plastics. So a little more sophistication than kill and burn everything (such as plunder and power Wink)
Anyone got any suggestions of alternate models to use?
I don't know about other companies, maybe someone will have an idea there. In terms of GW, I suppose I could go with alternatetly coloured Haradrim (old school style Wink) or slightly altered Rohirrim (seeing as how they already have a mixture of ages). Only problem with those ideas is what to do about the other choices like the Arablester, and whether I'll have to find another suitable conversion for that if it doesn't fit with the proxy image.

So please let me know if you have any brainwaves. I'm wanting to create some Gondorian coastal battles.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 pm

I can't suggest any one company, As i only buy from GW as it saves me alot of time(tho not money) But i would suggest searching for any "Pirate" modals as they are effectivly just that.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Moved this too Other Manufacturers as I think it's more suited to this area.

As for other minis, I suppose it depends on what look you're going for. If you're going for a stereotypical pirate a la Pirates of the Carribean, then check out Wargames Foundry.
Alternatively, if you left the shields off, then Renegade's armoured Libyan Spearmen could work as they have similar shoulder pads to the Bosun and one of the Arablasters, and the armour is merely a lining cuirass and leather scale 'skirt' which could be painted to look like clothes.

Last edited by Dînadan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks Dinadan. Can't really picture the Libyan spearmen. Wargames has some interesting models though. Problem is that all pirate models seem to have a pistol, which though cool, doesn't really fit into Middle Earth (unless I counted them as their throwing weapons? Wink). So that would require a bit of converting. Some potential 'Captains' in the range though.
One of the best representations I've been able to find is GW's Empire Free Company (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1520174&prodId=prod20048) though they're a bit out of scale I think?
Thinking Haradrim may be a decent option, maybe with some slight conversions?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Haradrim could work, although I'd suggest removing the jewels on the armour and doing a headswap. Have a look at these concept sketches by an artist on DA for insperation

Also, try Wargames Factory's Numidians. They look Harad-ish, but are still different enough to stand out from a normal Haradrim warrior. They're also multi-part making it easier to customise them.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 pm

The problem is that they look quite historical and not fitting in with the existing range so much. Maybe it's the tunics? I mean they're not that bad, but if I have to ship from an overseas company, I want the models to be perfect for my purpose.
Looking at the Rohirrim, they could create a quite nice Corsair force if the helmets were modified to something like you linked to above (which are pretty cool) and added in a bit of colour. Trouble would be de-Rohanifying them and then creating complementary models for the rest of the army.
Was wondering whether I could mix parts from the existing Corsairs and Rohirrim, but that gets expensive quickly if I have no use for the remaining models. However, having looked at the Corsairs again, I'm tempted to try and salvage them. I think my biggest problem is the heads, though where/what alternate heads to use still remain a mystery. It doesn't seem so easy to give them interesting armoured helmets like the DA image when the rest of the model is relatively unarmoured. Rohirrim helmets are the only ones that I could see working (and provide an alternative shield) but then I gotta work out what to do with the rest and whether they could be converted to Corsairs or villages etc. As for the Haradrim, it's a similar problem how to create the heads (don't know that I have the skill to sculpt them out of greenstuff)

And sorry Dinadan, I don't mean to come across dismissive. I do appreciate the time and effort your putting into helping me.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Hmm, for helmets, you could try looking at sellers of historical minis who do seperate heads as some of the DA helmets look slightly Ancient Greek.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Hmm, ok, thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes open.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Corsairs?   Alternative Corsairs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternative Corsairs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top