Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wierd combos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Wierd combos   Wierd combos EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 am

Just for fun, post here formation/epic hero combos that can lead to wierdness.

Here's a potentially ridiculously over powered one that's legal dispite it being against the established background:
Khazad-Guard Kinband, 4 Companies
Aragorn
Elendil
Gimli
Galadriel/Gandalf

Aragorn and Elendil's bonus to hit stacks, as does the +1 for the Guard having 2-handed weapons, meaning that they have a +5 bonus to Hit, and thus auto hit with all their attacks! Even more frightening, use Aragorn's free point of Might to call a Heroic Fight and call Epic Rampage with Gimli. The Comand company now makes an extra attack for each one that hits, and as they auto-hit, they get to make another round of attacks - on the charge, this means the command company will get 15 attacks on adverage, and thus will wipe out the opposing formation. Aragorn's Heroic Fight allows them to charge another formation and wipe it out. The next turn, you use Galadriel/Gandalf's Touched By Destiny rule to use Epic Renewal for free and give Gimli his Might point back.

Of course this isn't infailable, and there are ways to circumvent it (plus the fact that theres about 1000pts tied up in one formation)

In fact, one of the ways to beat it leads to another wierdness. And that method is Khamul. On adverage, he'll bounce back 1/3 of the hits from the Guard, and if he's in a 9 company strong formation of orcs, he can outlast the hail of attacks and reduce the Guard below the four minis minimum threshold before the orcs get wiped out (with adverage rolls that is). With above adverage rolls, the infintesimle number of auto-hits the Guard combo gets can be turned back and wipe out a good chunk of the Good army Shocked

Anyone else thought up some silly/wierd combos you can make in this game?
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wierd combos   Wierd combos EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Can't you use bowfire to destroy some of these formations before they kill you? If I ever play WotR, I'll stick to themed lists Wink
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wierd combos   Wierd combos EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Cal585 wrote:
Can't you use bowfire to destroy some of these formations before they kill you? If I ever play WotR, I'll stick to themed lists Wink
Except to take out the Guard combo above you need on adverage 42 companies on bow to take it out. To take out the Khamul counter with bowfire, you need 26 companies if they don't have shields or 51 if they do have shields, and you really need to do it quickley as having Khamul and a drummer would allow them to potentially go 40" in one turn!
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wierd combos   Wierd combos EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Ouch... WotR has some great capabilities but also some major flaws... It's a shame.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wierd combos   Wierd combos EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:52 pm

I think that the idea in WotR is that bowfire is supposed to be a 'thin the ranks' affair and to drive back formations (in the rules, formations that take over a cirtain number of casualties get pushed back a bit). Really the whole idea of WotR was buy a gazzillion minis, throw them into combat, then use a bucket to roll dice.

If I ever try WotR again, I'll be doing it without Epic heroes as they can be a bit silly sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wierd combos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wierd combos   Wierd combos Empty

Back to top Go down

Wierd combos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Might of Middle Earth :: - LOTR Strategy Battle Game - :: War of the Ring-
Jump to: