Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Board/Card Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Racssirt
Resident Tech Whizz
Resident Tech Whizz

Racssirt

Main Army : Isengard Uruk-Hai

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Article Writer Token of Appreciation - For your Technical Work

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:30 am

Who plays them? I love them Very Happy

My family and I realised a while back that we all just sit around gazing into computer monitors, so we got out the old classics like Monopoly and started getting into it. For a while, me and my brother were in a board gaming/D&D club way back in school and after remembering some of the ones we played, we bought some in and been hooked ever since!

For those who are that way inclined, I highly recommend games such as Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Bootleggers, Shadows Over Camelot, Cosmic Encounters, Ra and many more. For those who don't, I suggest you buy some and play them!

Anybody else got any to recommend?

Last edited by Racssirt on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alt-f4.proboards.com/
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 am

Zombies is a fun board game to play.

Not a board game, but a card game (so close enough), a really fun game is Fluxx.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm tossing up whether to buy Settlers of Catan. It looks fun, but it's a 3 player game... What's it like?
Carcassonne is the other one I've seen and almost bought. They seem the type of games I like Smile
So any feedback on them?
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 am

Yu-Gi-Oh!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise i still enjoy Risk even today and have a demo for "Risk Factions" on Xbox. Quite fun
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

Risk and Monopoly are both favourites in our house, particularly over Christmas when more of the family is together. I never got into D&D which was a shame as it seems like my kind of game.

We don't own Settlers of Catan but I've played it several times and I'd highly recommend it. The board is made up of hexes, representing the different resources, which players try to control. Resources can be harvested and traded between players and allow you to develop and expand your settlements. The game quite simple in concept and very easy to pick up but lots of fun to play. You can have up to four players, although an expansion allows for a total of six. Other expansions have been released that add other dimensions to the gameplay but I have yet to play either of them.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Hmm, so it's a simple game to pick up? I usually have trouble getting others to join in board games, so not being nedlessly complicated is a big tick in my book. I saw the islands expansion as well and that looked pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 am

Well, unfortunately, as with most strategy-type-games it does have the appearance of being complicated - so you may still have a job trying to convince newcomers to join. It's the kind of game that looks compicated from the outside, but only requires one playthrough to realise how simple it is. IMO, its far simpler than Monopoly and nowhere near as unforgiving as Risk.

Back to top Go down
Racssirt
Resident Tech Whizz
Resident Tech Whizz

Racssirt

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Article Writer Token of Appreciation - For your Technical Work

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 am

Catan is fantastic - really easy to pick up. Usually my brother works out the rules and teaches them to the rest of us. Razz We've played it with some friends of ours too and they really got into it, in fact one of them won on their first game! Because of the nature of the game, it gives people a good chance of winning even if they've never played before. That said, after playing it a few times you tend to come up with your own strategies, so it's easy to learn and hard to master. Smile

The Seafarers expansion is an excellent addition, and there's also an expansion as AW said which increases the game from 3-4 to 3-6 players if you're playing in a larger group. Smile

Carcassonne is one of our favourites, I can highly recommend it and it's (many) expansions to anybody who enjoys a bit of strategy mixed with a bit of chance. Smile If you want to find out about a game to see if it's for you, BoardGameGeek is a great site with lots of detail and a marketplace too where you can buy second-hand copies of the game.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 pm

I had a game of Settlers yesterday. It went rather well though I came last Razz (no army to speak of and pipped to the longest road by 1). I was kinda in trouble when I began with no access to wheat and then my brick supply got blocked by the Robber... It actually is a fair bit like Monopoly I think. Choosing the areas to stop others claiming them to maximise your own income.

Thanks for the link Raccy! I'll be sure to check it out in more detail tonight.
Back to top Go down
Racssirt
Resident Tech Whizz
Resident Tech Whizz

Racssirt

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 am

Not a problem Cal Smile Another game I forgot to mention was Entdecker, one we got for Christmas. I believe it was the precursor to Catan, but it's more heavily focused on exploration instead of resources and building.

I'm going to change the name of this thread to Board/Card Games instead, purely to justify talking about Munchkin. Razz As anybody who has played this knows, it's absolutely hilarious! The rules are not too complex, and can be bent and twisted to suit your own needs in various different ways, making it all the more fun. You could be doing quite well, gaining levels along the way (you win if you reach Level 10) with equipment such as the Wand of Napalm and the Badass Bandana, and then you face something like Squidzilla or the Plutonium Dragon!

It's great to play with friends, and we often end up quoting puns from the game in everyday conversation now. Laughing The expansions are also good, along with spin-offs like Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin and Munchkin Impossible, which can all be added to the original game for even more ridiculous fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Board/Card Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board/Card Games   Board/Card Games Empty

Back to top Go down

Board/Card Games

View previous topic View next topic Back to top