Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

GW Announces "Finecast" Range

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

Main Army : Khand

MoMe Award Winner - Best Signature/Avatar One That Sees From Afar

GW Announces "Finecast" Range Empty
PostSubject: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyTue May 17, 2011 9:05 am

LINKY

Looks like GW is stopping making a lot of metal models and is re-releasing them in resin.

By re-releasing, I mean just using the same sculpts and casting them in resin instead. You can see the RRP prices there as well, but be prepared for a downer. The prices shown show that they are raising the prices by an average of 20%

Wait, a 20% ish increase in prices for a material that will have the same feel as plastic (since resin does not have the awesome weight that metal does).

I have a few choicey words I'd like to say about GW right about now, but they're all of a four letter nature.

Cheers,
Fenrir
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm

LordFenrir wrote:

Wait, a 20% ish increase in prices for a material that will have the same feel as plastic (since resin does not have the awesome weight that metal does).
And it's potentially poisonous. Hmm...what's the price of lead these days? Maybe they should go back to using that instead and that way will have a higher chance of poisoning their customer base Razz
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:44 pm

i'm mixed on this. It would be good to finaly see the end of alot of the bulky metal stuff which makes alot of them a pain to build.....howevewr the price incresses as well!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:30 pm

There's also the news that they're coming down on independent retailers selling overseas, such as Maelstrom and Wayland. Considering that Australia already seems to be 50% more expensive than the UK/US, this pretty much kills the hobby for me. Not that I'm quitting, but I plan one last purchase from Maelstrom and then limit myself to the occasional ebay auction.

Now to decide if I want to finally get that Mumak or not...
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:11 am

I think it will hit all of us. I'm goign to be one of the msot hit as my hobby is $0k, Fantasy and LOTR and not hobby gaming so i'm stuck witht he price incresses.....again. Looks like more cut downs on spending now. I think i'm down to less than £60 an month when i was about £100 a month. (Forgeworld however are fine as it's worth it for those models)
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:05 am

The sad thing is that FW seems to be actually cheaper for some models (eg. Crisis Suit) Laughing
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:47 am

I could be totally mistaken here, but I could've sworn that the whole reason for GW switching from metal to resin was because metal is so damn expensive. If they're switching to a supposedly cheaper material to cast with, then why on earth can they justify a 20% price increase I wonder?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Err...how could they even have got away with that claim when Forgeworld products are so expensive? If they did make the claim that resin is cheeper for them than metal, then either they're talking b*****ks, or for years they've been vastly overcharging for Forgeworld items (well...more so than they usually do that is).
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:19 pm

its al a sneky price rise. Many compnay are guilty. I remeber that Gadburys changed there large bars so there where more spaces so you got about 20% less chocolate for the same price.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Well I've placed my final order (except for the odd model here and there) unless I find someplace cheaper. With Maelstrom's sale going on, I spent $135. Had a look on the GW Aus store to see what that would cost me normally. $293! I'm looking on the US store at the minute. $27 for a box of Dwarf Warriors! We're paying $46! And our dollar is stronger than theirs! Gah...

Well I should finally have my Corsairs, Dwarves, another box of WoMT (for conversions) and my Khandish cavalry. Not much interest in the Finecast range except for maybe a hero or two.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:10 am

hope you stocked up then Cal. From what i here most of the west world isn't to nice to down under nowadays, Mortal kombat and now this
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:56 am

Just saw something on TLA that makes these a little more bearable. Finecast LotR warrior packs apparently will come with four models per pack, opposed to three.

Also saw that there's "something big" coming this November for the 10th anniversary of LotR.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:36 pm

LordFenrir wrote:

Also saw that there's "something big" coming this November for the 10th anniversary of LotR.
Prices going up by 100%?

Razz
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Knowing GW that isn't something big, it normal.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptySat May 28, 2011 5:42 pm

The fine cast stuff is upfor sale now. Here is a LINKto the GW site with the LOTR stuff. It seem s that they have limited people to 3 per customer for the time being. Not sure if that is per item or per order (So weaither or not you cna buy 4 diffrent kits or you jsut can't buy 4 Crossbow men)
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:43 am

Ooh, interesting! Is it just me or is that Fellowship of the Ring set an amalgamation of different models? Can't complain though, the Helm's Deep Legolas and RotK Aragorn are much better than their initial sculpts. And the Hobbits seem different as well, though I'm not well versed in their poses.

I must say, the resin is impressive, and I'm tempted, despite the prices, to go for a nice model like Gulhavar. Or the Cave Drake if they release that in resin.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptySun May 29, 2011 5:10 am

Cal585 wrote:
Ooh, interesting! Is it just me or is that Fellowship of the Ring set an amalgamation of different models?
Yeah, they are. That's FotR Boromir and Gandalf, Helm's Deep Legolas, RotK Aragorn and Fell Beast Frodo. Not sure about Gimli and the other Hobbits though, but I fairly sure none of those were in the original Fellowship set.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptySun May 29, 2011 7:00 pm

I think Merry and Pippin are felowship too, Sam is the Gollum, Frodo and sam blister and Gimli seems to be Armon Hen possibly

The resin is nice i have to say, game away with a Hive Tyrant (ya no pinning!!!!) and my go was it easy to put together.....it doesn't stick to well to plastic however. It does stick, but not as well so my Tyrant kept falling of his base for half and hour.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyMon May 30, 2011 5:19 pm

It is a rather nice set. I still think I may go with the Breaking of the Fellowship set though. That has some nice poses. Doubt it will be resinated any time soon though.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:23 pm

wouldn't think so. I highly doupt that would redo every felowship set in resin and even if they did it would be a few months at the vesy least
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:11 am

Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 am

Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Hmm, they've returned all metals and you now have to order them in through the store and then come back to collect them. I also got a look at the finecast and they were quite nice, very light. A lot of joining gaps though. Sadly I don't know that I really want to get anything, especially now the prices have risen again. $55 for a box set of warriors (that's 37 pounds or $59 US) when it started out at $35. That same amount now buys you 4 Beserkers/Crossbows.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:52 am

the price risins are getting out of hand and the joining are rather bad in some places due toi the resin but very good qulaity otherwise. I got some but only becuase the metal version where so bad that i couldn't in my right might work with them (Hive Tyrant and Tyrant Guard). Also i think i will only be gettign the models i NEED form them rather than the ones i want
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GW Announces "Finecast" Range   GW Announces "Finecast" Range Empty

Back to top Go down

GW Announces "Finecast" Range

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Might of Middle Earth :: - LOTR Strategy Battle Game - :: New Releases-
Jump to: