Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Untitled Fantasy Novel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

Main Army : Gondor

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Staff Member MoMe Award Winner - Best Painter/Converter

Untitled Fantasy Novel Empty
PostSubject: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 am

I've been working on the planning for this project behind the scenes for a while now (I have worked on character details, locations, location details, world map etc.). The plan is to over the next year or two, to write my own Fantasy novel (I'd like to aim for 250+ pages).

My only problem is names. I'm not asking for anybody to come up with name ideas, I just want your opinions on a couple.

1. I need a name for my main antagonist. Not revealing too much but he's an ancient enemy rising up after having been thought dead by most for thousands of years (all is intended to be explained in the prologue). So I want a fitting 'bad guy' sounding name. Best I have is 'Krolac'. Sound evil enough?

2. I need a name for the world this novel is set in. The book (it's setting, plots, characters) will have influences from classic fantasy stories and games such as LOTR, Fable etc. The best world name I've got so far is 'Myradion'. Again, opinions?

They are the questions I have so far. I've decided on my heros name (Vesdan).

I look forward to starting work on this, and updates will come every now and then! I'm excited to show you some of the stuff I've worked on, especially the background to the plot I've worked on so far, but I don't want to spoil anything, so that's remaining secret for now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightofmiddleearth.com
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds like an interesting project good luck with it Smile

For the antagonist's name, what sort of culture does he come from? If there's a parallel with a real world culture, then you can look to that culture's mythology and language for inspiration. Failing that, you could just plunder Latin for ideas Razz If you do do this, then you could look for alternate meanings for the base words you've chosen. For example, in the Green Latern comics, Hal Jorden's arch nemisis is called Sinestro. This has obvious evil connotations to us because it sounds like 'sinister', but it is also Latin for 'left-handed' (and in fact that's how our word sinister is derived), and a subtle nod to this is that sinestro is left-handed. You could do something similar with the name of your villain. For example, if he's a great sorcerer but a poor fighter, then you could use a translation of 'cack handed' as the basis of his name.

As for the world name, if there are multiple 'planes of existance' in this world (e.g. heaven, hell, etc), then how about 'Myridion' rather than 'Myradion', which sounds a bit like the geographical feature, but the connotations being that instead of a meridian deviding western hemisphere from eastern, the world which normal people inhabit is a devision between the 'higher planes' and the 'lower planes', similar to how Middle-earth is derived from the Nordic 'Midgard'.
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Best Staff Member MoMe Award Winner - Best Painter/Converter

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am

I like the Myridion idea.

As for the antagonist, he's a powerful warrior (think the same scale strength as Sauron without his ring, though he's going to get more powerful as the story progresses). He will have no sorceror capabilities though.
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 1:16 am

Once I've finished the planning, I'll begin work on the prologue. Once that is finished I'll probably put it online as a private download and allow you access to it so I can have feedback and find out if you would continue reading it based on the prologue.

It's not intended for professional publishing and release to the public, I'm going to simply pay an online self-publishing website such as Lulu for one Paperback copy for myself.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 7:44 am

Red Corsairs wrote:
As for the antagonist, he's a powerful warrior (think the same scale strength as Sauron without his ring, though he's going to get more powerful as the story progresses). He will have no sorceror capabilities though.
Well a similar logic applies - translate a suitable word into Latin/Greek/Ancient Egyptian/etc and you'll probably have a suitable name for him.

E.g. I'd like to write a fantasy novel one day, and one of the ideas I've got for it is to have a wolf god named 'Blaiddyn' which is pseudo-Welsh for 'Wolf man'
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:42 am

Updates on Names and World Name.

I've decided on the main antagonists name and gone with 'Golgomak'. Thanks for your help Dinadan but I couldn't find any suitable translations but while making up different random 'evil' sounding names, this one popped to mind and I was happy with it.

Now, back to the part about different planes of existence. I now have:

Caelion (ruled by Esremé, Godess of Caelion) - This is the equivelant of Heaven. The name comes from the latin word for Heaven 'Caelum' but has been changed to be more fitting with Myridion.

Myridion (previously ruled by Ferrak, Exiled God of Myridion) - You already know where this name comes from as you came up with the idea. Ferrak was Exiled to the deepest pit of Infernion by his siblings after the events of the years 253-397 (prologue explains).

Infernion (ruled by Akilos, God of Infernion) - As with Caelion, the name comes from the latin word for Hell 'Infernus' but has been changed to be more fitting with Myridion.

Sound okay?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 am

Sounds good Smile Although I'm not 100% sure on Caelion - Caeleon is a small town near the Welsh-English border Razz
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:54 am

Razz
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:57 am

Of course you could just make Welsh the Language of the Gods Razz
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 am

Or I could just point out they're spelt differently Wink
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 am

Yes, but they sound very similar Wink
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:12 am

Maybe if you die and go to Heaven in Myridion you are actually entering our world in a small town on the Welsh-English border Wink
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:13 am

Laughing Surely that'd be more like hell to some people?
Back to top Go down
Red Corsairs
MoMe Overlord
MoMe Overlord

Red Corsairs

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:28 am

True enough Razz
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 am

Heh, here's an idea for you - Myridion, rather than being the world, is where heavan and hell bend back around on each other and overlap Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Untitled Fantasy Novel   Untitled Fantasy Novel Empty

Back to top Go down

Untitled Fantasy Novel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top