Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

Main Army : Elves

Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts Empty
PostSubject: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 1:17 am

Ok, so I was keen to make an Arnor list as I think they have some of the best theme ideas in the game! Here is an little opener to the list...

Endless streams of orcs assault the battle host from both sides! The men fight valiantly, and they are only kept in line by their commander - King Arvedui. A long way from the battle Elladan and Elrohir along with their bodyguard of elves hear the screams and cries for help. They wade fearlessly into the fray, but can they save the Last King before it is too late?

Arvedui, Last King of Arnor
Captain of Arnor
- w/ Shield
Elladan and Elrohir
- w/ H. Armour
High Elf Warrior
- w/ H. Armour, Elf Blade and Banner (use Warrior of Arnor Model w/ Banner - Counts as a 'Royal Standard of Arnor' - Extra Fight and Courage etc)
32x Warriors of Arnor
16x Rangers of Middle Earth
- 8x w/ Spear
8x High Elves w/ H.Armour, Spear, Shield

Warriors: 61
Bows: 16/61
Might: 11
Will: 7
Fate: 5

Ok. So, I would form a normal shield-wall with my 32 Warriors of Arnor, with 'The Royal Standard or Arnor' in support. Arvedui would always stick with this part of the army to combat the relatively low courage of the WoA. He would be joined by either the Captain, Elladan/Elrohir or both (Captain and either Elladan or Elrohir) to help with sticky combats. I do/would not intend to use Arvedui as an offensive warrior. He is more of a back-up hero and Herioc Action caller, this is because of how susceptible to damage he is. (D6, W2, F0). Elladan and Elrohir are my anvils. They are their to create as much carnage as possible. They will lead the Rangers and High Elves together or one of them with the Captain (depending on whether the Captain goes with Arvedui or not). The Rangers are there to snipe slowly at cavalry to 'even up the odds' and the High Elves add ALOT of extra skill and courage in equal amounts. If it was required I could split Arvedui, the Banner, Elladan and the WoA. Then I could have the Rangers and Elrohir, then the High Elves lead by the Captain. - This would be exceptionally helpful in Domination games where I would have to split in to many groups.

Overall a pretty good list IMHO. Razz
Please give me your thoughts and comments!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 am

i am insteasted on how your point value for the army works out. Did you just take the points for Boromir's banner and add it to a Arnor Warrior (You wrote a High elf as carryign int eh lsit but talked about a man)
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Ok. Sorry, I did not make that part clear. It is not any special banner with any special rules. I t is simply a High Elf Warrior with Banner which would be represented by a Warrior of Arnor with Banner. To then justify the higher fight of the Warrior Of Arnor with Banner (which is actually a High Elf with Banner) I would pretend that it is Arvedui's 'personal standard' and that it is carried by one of his most skilled and trusted men... Sorry if it was unclear.

Sad
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Main Army : Gondor

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 2:05 am

Just a few things. Firstly, I don't think the cost of a High Elf carrying a Banner justifies the bonuses you attribute to it as 'The Banner of the Arvedui' - most 'special' banners cost 50pts on top of the cost of the model. If your opponent is fine with it then no problem but I'd probably ask you to up the points for those Fv/C bonuses.

On the subject of your standard beraer - you have equiped him with an Elf Blade. As a Banner counts as a two-handed weapon, he will be unable to use the Elf Blade in any way other than as anormal hand weapon. Seeing as all models are assumed to be carrying a hand weapon unless stateed otherwise why not save the point to use elsewhere?

Also, I believe you're over the bow limit. Although you claim to have 16 bows - you haven't stated that the 8 Rangers carrying spears have dropped their bows. As this is a part of their default equipment you actually have 24 bows - requiring a total warrior count of 72.

But anyways - the bulk of your list appears pretty solid; universal high fight, good shooting and a strong speread of Heroes and might. I would advise keeping the Captain with Arevedui and the Arnorian shield-wall to ensure a good supply of might in that area. As with most Anor lists your biggest problem will likely be courage. Your Captain should not be relied upon at all as a source of Stand Fast - so you've done the right thing on focusing on his combat abilities. Arvedui makes a good Hero in this aspect, particularly with his doubled Stand Fast range - however, as you say, he is very vulnerable and most opponents will focus on trying to take him down before he can make use of his leadership abilities. You will be able to protect him to an extent - and this should be one of you main proirite - but should you come up against a strong spell caseter you may find him in trouble. Your most reliable Heroes are the Twins - but you are using apart from your courage-lacking troops so you may want to rethink where they are deployed.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 7:33 pm

ElfLord38 wrote:
Ok. Sorry, I did not make that part clear. It is not any special banner with any special rules. I t is simply a High Elf Warrior with Banner which would be represented by a Warrior of Arnor with Banner. To then justify the higher fight of the Warrior Of Arnor with Banner (which is actually a High Elf with Banner) I would pretend that it is Arvedui's 'personal standard' and that it is carried by one of his most skilled and trusted men... Sorry if it was unclear.

Sad

Ok. So it's counted as a man but with a elf profile to singnal that his very skilled so the banner will affect the Men but not the Elves? An i right?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:54 pm

jaws900 wrote:
Ok. So it's counted as a man but with a elf profile to singnal that his very skilled so the banner will affect the Men but not the Elves? An i right?
Not quite. You got the elf profile representing a man bit right, but banners effect all allies regardless of their origin (unless they're a special banner with special rules)
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 3:48 pm

It's count as. For all intents and purposes it's a High Elf. However, he is planning to use a WoA model for background purposes and explain the extra stats as such an elite warrior.

Have you thought about 'upgrading' the Arnor captain for a High Elven one? You could do a similar thing as the banner, using an Arnorian model. This could represent that he is a Captain of the King's Guard, and so one of the most experienced generals in the Arnorian army. He would still be competant in command and a courageous individual.
This way, you give yourself a strong secondary commander who is also able to help hold the line as needed, when your major weakness is going to be courage. I expect the twins will be getting stuck in, and Arvedui makes a prominent target. Sometimes it helps to be able to have a reserve plan.
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes. Sorry, for the slow reply but most of you seem to have figured is out. On the note from Artificial Winter, I am not over bow limit. Again I must have made it unclear. I have a total of 16 Rangers of Middle Earth, 8 of which have Spears.

Thank you for the excellent idea Cal585! The use of a High Elf Captain as a Captain of The Royal Guard is an excellant idea! It adds yet another complicated dimension to my force. Razz
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok! So I've re-worked the force! This now includes the idea of having a High Elf Captain! - So thank you Cal 585.

Arvedui, Last King of Arnor
High Elf Captain (Captain of Arnor w/ Shield)
- w/ Shield
Elladan and Elrohir
- w/ H. Armour
High Elf Warrior
- w/ H. Armour and Banner (Arnor Warrior w/ Banner)
32x Warriors of Arnor
16x Rangers of Middle Earth
- 8x w/ Spear
6x High Elves w/ H.Armour, Spear, Shield

Warriors: 59
Bows: 16/61
Might: 11
Will: 7
Fate: 5
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:00 am

Quote :
On the note from Artificial Winter, I am not over bow limit. Again I must have made it unclear. I have a total of 16 Rangers of Middle Earth, 8 of which have Spears.
However, as I said...
Quote :
Although you claim to have 16 bows - you haven't stated that the 8 Rangers carrying spears have dropped their bows. As this is a part of their default equipment you actually have 24 bows - requiring a total warrior count of 72.
Simply giving the Rangers spears does not mean they no longer carry bows - they still carry, and can use, bows and therefore still count towards the bow limit. This can be adressed by stating that those eight, spear carrying Rangers do not carry bows however, should you choose to do this the Rangers will still cost the same amount as they do presently.

The changes you've made to the list are good - the Elf Captain will certainly help to adress the courage problem faced by most Arnor Armies, but I'd still advise keeping him with the shield-wall part of your army.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Glad I could help. I love thematic stand ins to add extra character to an army than you'd normally achieve using standard rules.

ArtificialWinter wrote:
Quote :
On the note from Artificial Winter, I am not over bow limit. Again I must have made it unclear. I have a total of 16 Rangers of Middle Earth, 8 of which have Spears.
However, as I said...
Quote :
Although you claim to have 16 bows - you haven't stated that the 8 Rangers carrying spears have dropped their bows. As this is a part of their default equipment you actually have 24 bows - requiring a total warrior count of 72.
Simply giving the Rangers spears does not mean they no longer carry bows - they still carry, and can use, bows and therefore still count towards the bow limit. This can be adressed by stating that those eight, spear carrying Rangers do not carry bows however, should you choose to do this the Rangers will still cost the same amount as they do presently.
He has 16 Rangers total. 16 Bows, 8 of which also have spears... NOT an additional 8 with spears. So really it's 8 Rangers with bows and 8 Rangers with bows and spears. That's exactly one third of his Arnor force bow-armed.

Don't know what else you'd change. It looks pretty solid.
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 3:13 am

Sorry - my bad. I misunderstood the list, then misread the post...

Apologies. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts   Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts Empty

Back to top Go down

Attack At Rhudaur! - Arnor allied with Rivendell 800pts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top