Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

Main Army : Elves

Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien Empty
PostSubject: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 1:32 pm

So, this is a list I made to represent the force that gathered outside Erebor in the Battle of Dale. I have used various warriors and heroes to represent those present at the battle.

Ok, so here goes!

Dain Ironfoot, King of Erebor
8x Dwarf Warriors w/ Shield
6x Royal Guard of Erebor (Khazad Guard)

King Brand of Dale (Faramir, Captain of Gondor w/ Heavy Armour, Horse)
9x Knights of Dale (Knight of Minas Tirith w/ Shield)
The Royal Standard of Dale (Knight of Minas Tirith w/ Banner)
6x Guards of the Tower (Guard of the Fountain Court)
6x King's Longbowmen (Citadel Guard w/ Longbow)

Bard II, Prince of Dale (Madril, Captain of Ithilien)
8x Soldiers of Dale (Warriors of Minas Tirith)
4x King's Longbowmen (Citadel Guard w/ Longbow)

Warriors: 51
Might: 9
Will: 6
Fate: 5

General Deployment:
Ok, so the setup of this army under normal conditions is a basic Shieldwall (or testudo - Jaws900 Razz) formation with the Dwarf Warriors and Royal Guard of Erebor making up the front rank. This is followed by a second rank of the Soldiers of Dale and the Guard of the Tower behind the Dwarf Warriors and the Erebor Guard respectively. Dain would be the one most likely to lead this group as he is best suited to such things. Consider this part of the army the 'Anvil'. Bard would most likely lead the King's Longbowmen as a seperate scouting force, behind the main shieldwall or on the shieldwall's flank. They would be able to volley at the enemy from a great distance or snipe away at threats from close range before they get into combat. The final element of this army is able to dish out plenty of damage and with 3 attacks on the charge (with the banner), most of these knights will win their fights and shatter any small band of warriors and charge into exposed flanks or the rear of my opponents battle line (if only it were that easy!) This is the 'Hammer' part of my army which is capable of blowing great holes in both my opponent's battlelines and plans!Twisted Evil

I look forward to comments and criticisms! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

Main Army : Gondor

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm

This looks like a good, fun list. Quick question, what are your WoMT equipped with? Anything?
When making up your formation, place your GotFC behind your Dwarf Warriors rather than the Khazad Guard. If you want to use your 2H axe, the spears become useless, where they'd actually benefit the warriors. I'd actually advise to mix your units up so you can pull them to what you need and your opponent can't choose which of his units fight which of yours.
With your longbowmen, you mention volleying. You need 10 models to volley. You only have 10 longbows (Madril's bow doesn't count). If you lose one archer, you've suddenly lost that capability. Just something to keep in mind.
I'd almost consider swapping the Knight with banner to something on foot, seeing as your foot formation is what you need to hold. Depending on the charge, you could try and get the banner to overlap both formations (assuming you hit them once they engage your wall). Personally, I merely find that cavalry are deadly on the charge but weak without it and a banner is more useful for infantry. But it's a personal choice and how you use it.

It's a good list. You've got some strong heroes and some good variation, but you jsut need to be careful with troops. You don't actually have that may in the formation, and a large portion are tied up in archers or cavalry.
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:00 am

OH! Sorry, the 'Soldiers of Dale' and armed with Spear and Shield. Upon review, this army list isn't that good. I'm going to post a completely different one...
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:30 am

I love this list, it is themed yet very battle-capable (which is hard to accomplish) but...

How in the world do they get 3 attacks on the charge??? Shocked

It sounds like you think the banner grants +1 Attack (as it does in W40K, I think) but it doesn't in SBG (if this is WOTR, then I have no authority on this subject). The rules for banners are detailed in the Rulebook on page 47.

Just to tell you, you can get 80 assorted orcs for 500 points; of course this would for a horde army, just saying that you're low on numbers (which isn't too influencial if you know how to play outnumbered).

Good luck on using this list Smile
Cheers,
Radagastbird
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Yes. I realise now that what I am saying about the banner and it's effect on the number of attacks (on the charge or not). But i am simply saying that it has the same effect as giving an extra attack to the warrior in combat. - By allowing you to re-roll a single die. eg 1 (normal attacks value) + 1 (Extra Attack - Cavalry) +1 (Re-roll of die) = 3. So sorry, I was not very specific.

I know how to play fairly well against high number armies as my friend normally plays Harad with two Nazgul so it'll be tough.
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Main Army : Gondor

PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 11:04 am

You've got a pretty good list here; universal high defence, a good selection of Heroes and a decent speread of might. However, a few suggestions:

Firstly, you're quite low on numbers. This is largely because your force constist almost exclusively of cavalry and 'elite' units. Obviously, when complimented with adequate support, cavalry can more than make up for a disadvantage in numbers with their mobility and hitting power and elites like Khazad Guard can stand up to and dish out much more punishment than your average warrior. However, putting to much emphasis on elites (or cavalry, but I think the bigger problem here is the elites) can become a disadvantage in itself. With so few models you will find yourself easily surrounded (particularly as your main body of troops is moving an inch slower than most other armies). Dwarves may be able to survive for an annoyingly long time but but at most they can only kill one model each turn and even if they are 'loosing' the fight they're in they may find themselves unable to contribute to the objectives of the battle simply because fo the amount of bodies they're up aginst. One way I'd remedy this situationby is by replacing the GotFC with ordinary WoMT w/spears+shields. Yes, the Guards are better but as their primary role is to suport the Dwarves then why not take models which do the same jobe but at a lower cost?

Also, following on from above, you may find yourself out-ranged, particularly by a shooty, horde army like Harad. Citadel Guard have longbows - which is great - but that does not make them exceptional archers. Their advantage here is being able to field S3 bows in numbers - but why not take Dwarf Warriors instead. Their range does suffer slightly and they're slower moving but you'll be able to take more of them and their D6 makes them less vulnerable to return fire. On a side note, as your opponent will likely be playing Harad (an army with mostly D4 troops) the advantage of having S3 bows may be lost. Unless he's fielding a mumak or lots of D5 units I'd actualy advise taking Rangers of Gondor, or even some plain ol' WoMT instead.

I'd deffinately find some points to give Faramir a lance as this will increase his kiling potential significantly. Also, I'd strongly consider swapping Madril for a Capatin on a horse (still represetnting Bard) to supply your contingent of cavalry with some extra might to ensure you get those all important charges. Really, a Hero leading a unit of archers is almost always left to waste in the game. On the subject of cavalry, I'd suggest dropping the banner, either for one on foot or simply to free up some points. Although the advantage of a banner is always useful, the size of cavalry bases inevitably mean less models will be able to make use of it. As Cal said, with cavalry the charge is the important thing and so I think points would be better spent on a second mounted Hero than an expesnive banner.

AW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien   Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien Empty

Back to top Go down

Dain's Last Stand - 800pts Erebor, Tower of Ecthelion, Rangers of Ithilien

View previous topic View next topic Back to top