Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Alternative Dunlendings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

Alternative Dunlendings Empty
PostSubject: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 12:19 am

Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Main Army : Gondor

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 am

I prefer the Celtic group, the Teulu (hooray for Wales) look better suited to be Feifdoms or Northmen too me but then maybe I've just been corrupted by PJ... Both are very nice though.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 am

More ideas here (from the same company):

Just bought their King Arthur (well sort of King Arthur) pack and a pack of Anglo-Danish Huscarls to try out as Dunlendings.

I'm thinking of using the 'Merlin' mini as a Barrow-wight if these are suitable (although, he'd make a good Alatar or Pallando, or even a decent alternative Saruman or Gandalf).
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 am

Personally, I think those Huscarls would make good Axemen of Lossarnach. They look uniform enough, and have the right weapons (unless you want the Halberd axes). I see Dunlendings as more of a rabble.

Don't really see the Merlin to Barrow Wight potential...
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of Barrow-wight rules rather than being an actual barrow-wight Wink
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Oh. Why Barrow Wight in particular?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 am

Partly because 1) originally I was thinking of having a Barrow-wight and some spectres repesenting a Dunlending King and his honour guard that had been resurected by the Witch-King and I just like the idea of keeping something similar in the army, and 2) partly because I was browsing TLA and someone (specifically Hixont) had posted a Dunlending army list with an allied Barrow-wight to represent a Sorcerer-King and I like the idea. Plus, it would allow me to use the orc profile to represent a cowardly bunch of men to supplement the Dunlending warriors (probably using either one of the sets lighter armed minis in the GB ranges or Rohirim or both).
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 am

Just had my order come in today, and I think they'll work quite well.

Comparing to a Theoden and Gamling I have to hand:

The Anglo-Danish are well in scale as are their axes. Looking at them, they look like they'd make great alternate Axemen of Lossanach. That said, without overt iconography on them, you could easily buy a bunch of them and use them for both without too much trouble (barring any basing convensions you might have that is).

As for the King Arthur set, this is also very good.
'Arthur' is in scale and his sword is actually smaller than both Theoden's and Gamling's (I think Arthur's is more of a Gladius style sword whereas the two aforementioned Rohirim are wielding longswords). He stands a hair taller than Theoden, which is reasonable variation in hight if you ask me. His head is slightly bigger than the two Rohirim, but this is mostly down to his hair style, and once painted shouldn't be noticable.
Merlin's weak point is his head - again it is a tad too large, but that said, he does have a big beard and long hair, so if compared to Gandalf or Saruman, may look more favourable. Other than that, he'd look great as any one of the Istari. Saruman of the Many Colours springs to mind as the best one as his staff is similar (although admitantly still distinct) to the films' version and he's even wearing a ring.
The horn blower is a nice looking mini and looks like it's in scale. It'd make a great Rohirim horn blower if you wanted to do a Rohan army.
The 'Standard bearer' is probably the weakest mini of the set, although this is entirely due to the helm he's wearing. A head swap will make him look good though. He comes without a banner, which is the only downside, although it shouldn't be too hard to give him a weapon if you have a spare one lying around - he looks fairly good with one of the axes from the Anglo-Danish huscarls, so you could easily give him one of those and convert a banner bearer or horn blower from that one.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 5:56 am

Here's some comparison shots with Hama and the Dark Marshal:

The Anglo-Danish Huscarls:
Alternative Dunlendings Dunlendingscomparison1
Alternative Dunlendings Dunlendingscomparison2
Alternative Dunlendings Dunlendingscomparison3

'King Arthur' &Co. :
Alternative Dunlendings Dunlandcharacterscompar
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am

Again, looks good - differences in size and scale is something that often disuades me from suplementing models from alternative producers but these all look pretty good. I'm unsure about the huscarls - maybe its just their helmets but they remind me of Warriors of Dunharrow but then I supose that might actually make more suitable for Dunlendings - being of the same 'branch' of men.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:18 am

That's a fair point. As for the issue of them being to 'uniform' to be Dunlendings, I think that that would be true if you bought a large number of them - personally I think that if you bought one pack of these, and a couple of other packs from the GB ranges they wouldn't look out of place (as for myself, when/if I do do a Dunlending army, I'd buy a mix of different armoured warriors from the Viking Age and Age of Arthur ranges to use as Warriors of Dunland [representing the retinue of the Dunlending chieftain] and a mix of the unarmoured warriors [e.g. Ceorls, Bondi, etc] to use as a more rabbelous militia [probably using orc profiles])
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:26 am

I agree - duplicates of these would certainly give a rather 'uniform' lo. However, dispersed among a variety of less well armed and armoured models and the overall effect will be very good indeed.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:34 am

Here's some extra pics with a spare base used to help give a fairer comparison for hieghts:

Alternative Dunlendings Dunlendingscomparison4
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:27 pm

They look good. I wanna get some as auxilaries in my Gondor army now Razz
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 am

I've replaced the head on the Standard Bearer mini with a spare signifier/cornicer one from Warlord Games:

Alternative Dunlendings Dunlendingchieftainwip
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Just seen on TLA that Gripping Beast have released plastic Vikings (44 for £18) Not sure or the ration of weapons, but they come with the option of swords/axes with shields, spears and two-handed axes, plus parts to make 2 heros and two hornblowers. Using two of the paper banners supplied means that buying this set will give you 504pts for £18 which is rediculously good value considering the GW box set of metal Dunlending warriors was(is?) a chieftain and nine warriors for about the same price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative Dunlendings   Alternative Dunlendings Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternative Dunlendings

View previous topic View next topic Back to top