Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

1000pts Dol Amroth army

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

Main Army : Alkalabeth

Article Writer MoMe Award Winner - Highest Quality Poster

1000pts Dol Amroth army Empty
PostSubject: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 8:29 am

Inspired by the year long 'challenge', although I'm probably not going to be able to stick to the challenge's rules due to uni work and the like.

Still working on the list, and here's a WIP one:

Imrahil, with armoured horse, and lance - 155pts
2x Captains of Dol Amroth, one with armoured horse and lance and the other with no extra equipment - 130pts
9x SKoDA with armoured horse and lance - 171pts
1x SKoDA with armoured horse and Banner - 48pts
1x SKoDA with armoured horse and horn - 43pts
12x SKoDA, no additional equipment - 108pts
20x M@A with pikes - 180pts
1x M@A with horn - 33pts
1x M@A with banner - 38pts

Total 906pts

Not sure what to get to bulk it up to 1000pts Suspect

Was thinking of these for the M@A and these or these and these for the SKoDA, and this guy or this guy for Imrahil.
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 am

i like the second one for Imdril. the other one is too Kingly. Looks good. none of use have really done anything fo0r the comp so far anyway. I had painted Eorl but "technical difficultys have resulted in me not being able to upload the pictures.
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Main Army : Gondor

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am

*splutter* O.o What's this...!? Dinadan's making an army list? Razz

Looks good - although lacking in the missile department...some RoG might be a good way of filling out that last 100pts. I'm wondering whether, given Imrahil's 12" banner-rule, you need to take the mounted banner? Unless you plan onsplitting your cavalry contingent the points might be ebtter spent on a few more mounted SkoDA.

Also, what do horns do? I've not read what benefits they provide.

Models-wise, the Frankish soldier look nice, although do they have a pike-armed option? For the SKoDA I prefer the Great Helms, they just look a little less 'fantasy' and I agree with jaws on the Imrahil although by the looks of things you might need to find a shield to give him while mounted.
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 pm

@ AW - The shields are removable, so I assume he'll just be using the shorter spears as pikes. Horns add +1 courage to your army while at least one is alive.

@ Dinadan - I assume you're using the SKoDA in the front rank of the pike block? The other alternative could have been standard M@A (I would've let you buy shields instead of pikes), but then that just creates a whole heap of front rank soldiers and doesn't help with the block so mch unless you're wanting to protect the sides of it.
I agree with AW that a Ranger contingement would defeinitely add something to the force, though I think you'll be mostly outshot.
As for models, I prefer the second option for the SKoDA, the Teutonic Knights don't really feel right to me, maybe it's the helmets.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 3:55 am

@AW: With the mounted banner, I was really going for theme over game rules. One of the reasons is that the Tuetonic banner looks really nice, and the other is that thematically, it makes sense for someone like Imrahil to be followed arround by a personal standard bearer.

As for the Franks, the shields are seperate and you have to buy your own spears - I already have some spare wire pikes, so making them into pikemen won't be hard Smile

@AW & Cal: I know what you mean on the helms. I am umming and arring about them - you look at them and they look too fantasy, then you look again and they don't look too bad, then you look a third time and the 'too fantasy' feeling is back, and so on... :/ The main downer for me is the fur collars which would look a bit out of place to me. Ultimately, the helms are too much of a problem as I could always use eBoB's SKoDA heads for them. The main reason for thinking of using the Teutons was because they have wings on their helms, although admitantly, I'm not too sure on how historically accurate they are (will have to do some research).

As for rangers, I had thought of that, but I'm not too keen on their elite nature. It's bad enough that the M@A are better than the standing army of the rest of Gondor without my pesant longbowmen (if I did go for Rangers, I'd buy either eBob's Welsh longbowmen or get the new Perry's WotR longbow/billmen box) being able to outfight WoMT Razz
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 am

You might be able to find some Teutonic Knight models from their early campaigns in the Middle-East (more appropriately attired for the climate of Dol Amroth) but they'd probably be practically the same as your standard Crusader Knights ie. without typically 'Teutonic' helmets.

You could replace the M@A with an allied contingent from Minas Tirith (inc archers), while still using the WoMT as M@A. The Frankish soldiers fit pretty nicely with either f them.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 pm

True, but then I wouldn't have the pikes, which I like the idea of. A block of pike just sounds visually appealing to me Wink
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am

Well, I've just bought a pack of the regular knights on foot and a pack of the Frankish spearmen so that I can see if they'll work size-wise (I've also bought a sprue of eBob's SKoDA heads to add into the mix Smile ). Just got to wait until they come, and I'll post some pics for you guys to have a look at.

My biggest concern with the knights is that their hands might be a bit too big, but hopefully I'll be able to remove them and resculpt with green stuff if they are.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 5:55 am

Got bored, so I thought I'd do a photoshopped mock up of the knights:

1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodamockup
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 am

Provisionally, looking very good - make sure to post some pics when you get the parts Smile
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 4:06 am

Just got the GB order in and they don't look too bad, especially at arms length. Comparing them to a Theoden mini I have to hand, the knights scale fairly well, although the helms are a tad on the large side. The weapons provided (a hand axe, a double handed axe, a mace and some sort of cleaver) are perfectly scaled for LotR if you ask me. As for the Frankish spearmen, they too have heads that are a tad too big, although that seams to be mostly due to the helms and the wrappings around their heads - I think judgment on these will be best left until after they're painted, as at arm's length, the size doesn't look too bad, and with painting I think it will be easier to dismiss the excess bulk as head wrappings.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 am

Here's some comparison photos with Hama and the Dark Marshal:

Frankish Spearmen that will become Men-at-Arms:
1000pts Dol Amroth army Macomparison1
1000pts Dol Amroth army Macomparison2
1000pts Dol Amroth army Macomparison3

Foot Knights that will become SKoDA:
1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodacomparison1
1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodacomparison2
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

They scale pretty well - a little small by the looks of things but painted up and on the table you should hardly notice. The knights' look pretty decently sized too. Did you get Ebob's heads or have they yet to arrive?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:02 am

I'm still waiting for the heads off eBob Sad

As for looking small, it could be because they're not on bases - if they were on bases like Hama and DM they'd probably be taller than Hama (although I think they'd still be shorter than DM consider how much taller than Hama he looks in these pics O.o )
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:15 am

Really? I tried to factor in the size of the base - but then I guess it's hard to judge from a few pictures anyway... Post some pics when the heads arrive, twill be interesting to see how they scale with the knights.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:19 am

Hmm let me see if I can find a spare base and I'll take a couple of pics to show it more definitively.
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

Here you go:

1000pts Dol Amroth army Macomparison4
1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodacomparison3
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 am

Hey - turns out you were right Razz That's better than I thought they'd be - and they looked fine anyways. I agree that the head/body proportion is a little off but that shouldn't be too noticeable when they're completed. Do yo think you'll investin some more now that you've seen them in the flesh?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 am

Probably - just got to find the money to buy them with, the time to paint them, and resit the temptation to build a Dunlending army at the same time Razz
Back to top Go down
Cal585
Maiar
Maiar

Cal585

MoMe Award Winner - Best Tactician Single Miniature Painting Competition 2010 Winner

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm

They look good. Will you be freehanding swan motifs etc. onto them?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 am

Probably, although I may try to keep it simple. Probably try to keep to designs like these
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am

The eBob SkoDA heads arrived today, here's a couple of somparrison pics:

One against one of the Knight minis:
1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodacomparison4

One against Theoden:
1000pts Dol Amroth army Skodacomparison5
I'd say that these actually look slightly small in comparison to the offical LotR minis O.o
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

A little small perhaps but they're so good Smile Don't know if they'll look any different whnen painted?
Back to top Go down
Dînadan
MoMe Underlord
MoMe Underlord

Dînadan

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 5:23 pm

We'll have to wait and see Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000pts Dol Amroth army   1000pts Dol Amroth army Empty

Back to top Go down

1000pts Dol Amroth army

View previous topic View next topic Back to top