Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Gondor Army Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Commander Gree
Farmer
Farmer

Commander Gree

Main Army : Gondor

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 9:19 am

Hey Guys,
My friend also does LOTR SBG and he collects Isenguard Uruk-Hai. I was just wondering if you guys have any good tactics that I could use against him in games. Also what miniatures should I get next?
I have:

• Aragorn, King of Gondor (Ft. and Mt.)

• Captain of Minas Tirith

• Standard Bearer

• 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith

• 24 Rangers of Middle-Earth

• 6 Knights of Gondor

My Friend Has:

• Uruk-Hai Captain

• Uruk-Hai Standard Bearer

• Isenguard Troll

• 20 Fighting Uruk-Hai

• 24 Uruk-Hai Scouts

• 3 Feral Uruk-Hai

• 3 Uruk-Hai Crossbowmen

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

Main Army : Elves

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Ok. By the looks of things, your friend has plenty of models that would make up a good Uruk-Hai army. It looks like you may be playing a 600 pt battle if you're using the miniatures that your friend has. Also if this is how his army is constructed I would play to his weaknesses. For example: he has many warriors, but not many heroes and he has many elite/ high cost warriors but relatively low defense (only 12 warriors have D6+). Therefore you should use cheap, unskilled (and preferably high defence) models to combat his numbers, very skilled warriors (F5) such as Elves or Osgiliath Veterans when within 3" of Boromir CotWT w/ Banner of Minas Tirith (This can be a solid core of warriors that will beat Uruk-Hai in a fight and then with your heroes getting into it, the fight can only go one way) and then get a really strong hero (such as Boromir) as your friend is lackin in such things. As the majority of his warriors are D4/5 I would have most of you warriors at S3 (luckily, as you are playing with men!). However, to combat the Troll I would use either high defense and low fight warriors, or courageous and very powerful warriors. This is where Clansmen of Lamedon come in! Their heightened courage and low cost means that they'll charge the troll ALOT more and if you stick Angbor with them, they become a real threat (especially with 2h weapons!). Because the troll is D8 don't bother too much with shooting it. Concerntrate fire on the D6 enemies you will face when the 'lines are met', there is no point shootng at D5 troops unless you have lowbows! Twisted Evil

So, with that I suggest that you use about:

200 pts on heores.
150 pts on elites (F4/5, D6)
200 pts on general warriors (WoMT)
50 pts on Clansmen of Lamedon

So I've come up with a list:

105 - Boromir of Gondor
55 - Angbor The Fearless
20 - Damrod
128 - 15x Warriors of Minas Tirith
- 8x w/ Shield + Spear
- 7x w/ Bow
100 - 10x Guard of the Fountain Court
72 - 8x Osgiliath Veterans
- 8x w/ Shield
72 - 8x Man-At-Arms of Dol Amroth
- 8x w/ Pike
48 - 8x Clansmen of Lamedon

Warriors: 52
Heroes: 3
Bows: 8/54
Might: 9
Will: 5
Fate: 2
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 am

Elflord38, that is a great suggestion but you have to take in consideration that Commander Gree doesn't have most of the models you mentioned. The tactic and logic behind the list is great but, as he can't field it, unhelpful No

So, back to the list; well Gree, I say that you're force is pretty well balanced. If you give Aragorn Anduril, you'll be able to wound the troll on a 4+ (not to mention everything else) but it would be very risky if you lose. I would take Anduril anyhow as you want to kill his guys quickly and since most of them are D5-6 you'd wound them on a 5+ which really slows you down. Now that you've taken the almighty piece of elven steel, you can lose some archers which you couldn't field anyhow because of the 33% limit on bows which would give you about:

Elessar with Anduril, 260 pts
Warrior with banner, 32 pts
24 Warriors of Minas Tirith (10 shield, 6 spear and shield, 8 bow), 200 pts straight Very Happy
6 Knights of Minas Tirith, 78 pts
4 Rangers of Gondor, 32 pts

That gives you exactly 600 points with:
Warriors: 35
Hero: 1 (Aragorn)
Bows: 12/36 = 33%
Might: 3+ (Aragorn)
Will: 3
Fate: 3

This doesn't give you too many troops at all but that's what you've got so far.
This army really puts a lot of pressure on Aragorn but, if used well, can be very deadly.

As for what to get next...well, I really don't know what to say but I'd say Gandalf would really help with his magic but another box of Warriors of Minas Tirith would probably be better. I would encourage you to listen to anyone else in this matter.

Cheers, Very Happy
Rad
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 9:21 am

I'm afraid the list you suggested Radagast is one model over the bow limit, as Aragorn is not factored in you are left with 12/35. You'd have to drop a bow somewhere.

Anyways, looking at the models you and your opponent currently have I'd say you hold most of the advantages. You have a far stronger Hero whose store of might will allow you to controll the game and whose stats will make mincemeat of any single model in your opponents force (bar perhaps the troll on a good day). You have, on average, cheaper warriors and far superior shooting cuop[led with a group of strong cavalry.

Really you only have two main concerns.

1: If you allow your infantry to go toe-to-toe alon with his you be feeding your men into a meat grinder. Although your troops are mostly cheaper, if you plan on taking Aragorn and some cavalry those numbers will suffer and you may even find yourself outnumbered by his Uruks, depending on the balance of Scouts or Warriors he brings. Uruk-hai's S and Fv4 will make short work of your WoMT, particularly if he fights in two ranks; though if he doesn't you will likely find yourself outflanked and in an even worse possition. However, your Rangers allow you to even the odds a little. Their Fv4 matches the Uruks' although their D4 looses out when coming up against a S4 opponent. If you intergrate a fair number of Rangers with your main infantry body you will probably find it holding up to its opposing number far better than a pure WoMT shieldwall.

2.: The Troll. Although 1 on 1 Aragorn could probably take out the troll 9 times out of ten 10, there is no guarantee that you will be able to separate it from his main body of troops. If you can isolate it then Aragorn and and hit-squad of Knights should be able to remove it with ease early on in the game. However, if your opponent keeps it in amongst his infantry you may be forced to sacrifice models too it before Aragorn can confront it at a later stage. However, you opponent taking this appraoch will allow Aragorn and your cavalry concentrate fully on the flank and rear of his main body without having ot worry about the troll. Simply feed the troll a model at a time until Aragorn can save the day.

A slightly less expernsive Hero, like Faramir, to be used in conjuction with you Captain would be a good investment. Some GotFC are great aginst S4 opponents if you can find some shields too equip them with and they provide wome much needed Fv4. Their Bodyguard special rule is also useful for hunting trolls and the like.
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 10:25 am

OH DEAR! Apologies to you, Commander Gree (and indeed Radagastbird). I did not read the models that you own very well and so made up some stupid, unhelpful um.... 'stuff'. So I might just try again.

The current models that you have are, as Radagastbird said, "pretty well balanced". However, I think that Aragorn, King Elessar is abit of an overkill. He is definitely one of the better heroes the good side has to offer, but in my opinion, he is just too expensive for this kind of battle.

Therefore, I would suggest that you use Aragorn/Strider (w/ Armour) and a Captain of Gondor (w/ Shield). These TWO heroes can lead TWO different parts of the army - a great advantage in scenario battles - and looking at the idea now I would probably give Aragorn (or even the Captain) a horse. This means that he can lead the Knights of Minas Tirith or the 'main block' of your infantry, whilst also gainging all the damage bonuses of having a steed/mount. Having a raging beast to ride upon basically doubles (and almost trebles) the number of chances your hero has of killing your enemy's Uruk-Hai.

As for the warriors, I think that Radagastbird has done tremendously well in provinding you with a great army list (or at least a starting point) to 'conquer all evil'! Razz

All in all I think that no matter what you choose, you can be assured that you list will be great! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ElfLord38
Warrior
Warrior

ElfLord38

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 10:27 am

Some excellent points AtificialWinter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:27 am

Good tips there ArtificialWinter, I'm sorry I counted Aragorn for the bow limit but that is how I've done it all along, Oh well Smirk . I wonder, wouldn't it be hard for even Aragorn to beat the troll? It has F8 while Aragorn has F6, making any ties a loss for the defenders of good and another couple red splotches.
Cheers Gree,
Daniel
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 6:23 am

@ Radagast - Heroes, whether they carry bows or not, do not count toward the bow limit. This is why models like Outriders or Rangers of the North are useful - and why they are so often abused by power-gaming players. Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes with the rules in some way or another - for a very long time I was under the impression that you only needed a group of 6 archers to volley, that you couldn't support when attacking/defending a barrier and that banners could only be 'used' by a combatant once per combat phase...

Hmm - I thought the Fv was lower but yes you're right, that does mean Aragorn would be in greater danger if facing the troll down. But still, coupled with some lance-bearing Knights, a horse himself, Anduril and considering that Aragorn's D7 still requires a 5 for the troll to wound him and I would feel fairly confident about taking out the troll if I could isolate it.

It is still risky - I more than once have seen the likes of Aragorn or Boromir squashed or seriously weakened becasue a troll had a lucky string of sixes. It does happen so be warned.
Back to top Go down
Commander Gree
Farmer
Farmer

Commander Gree

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks Everyone for their help!

It is very VERY useful. The only problem is, that my friend has sold all of his Uruk-Hai army, since he doesn't like LOTR SBG anymore (He fell to WH40K... Evil or Very Mad).

Thanks so much again.

~Gree
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Wow, changed his mind rather quickly Shocked
Sorry mate, hope you find someone else to play against... No
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:50 am

you will always find oneone to play..it is just a little harder than 40k. Atleast you don't play Blood Boal. Then it really would be impossible
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:08 am

Shame...I used to have quite a big group who all played. We had a good few mega-games which took up the entire floor and we spent several does to complete. Unfortunately all bar my brother have forsaken the game for one reason or another, which in itself makes it harder for you to keep playing.

No-one at my local GW plays, even the staff refuse to play now - I havn't had a game there for over a year...
Back to top Go down
Commander Gree
Farmer
Farmer

Commander Gree

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Yeah Same, The people who run my GW NEVER host Lord of the Rings games. I'm basically the only one that plays it there. Sad
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 pm

we realy have games at my local but we are luck as we have a games hall above the shop so we often get more variaty of players but still i only know of 2 other people who play and both of them are still in school.

Thats why i have abotu every army so i can play agianst my self. Razz
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 am

Haha, I had a small group that played off-and-on (6 or 7). Now 4 of them have left and it only leaves 3 of us to play whenever we can. I noticed that I paint a lot more now, though, which is a good thing but I want to play!!! Sad Headbang! Razz
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 am

i know what you mean but when you ahve mor epeople to play agaisnt that moist and you don't even have a local GW (Or national one for that matter) it jsut goes to show that you guyys Want to play rahter than just buy it on impuse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gondor Army Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gondor Army Help   Gondor Army Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Gondor Army Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top