Might of Middle Earth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Home  Articles  Gallery  Latest images  Search  Register  Log inLog in  

Share | 

ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

Main Army : Gondor

ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. Empty
PostSubject: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:13 am

Ok, so I've been working on my list for next year's competition and have come up with the following. I posted it on TLA and got some feeback there so its already been through a refining process. I'm pretty happy with it as it is in terms of theme, cost(£) and effectiveness but I thought I'd post it up for people to give some feedback before it gets set in stone.

Note: The Eomer, Marshall of the Riddermark is a modified profile which most of you will have probably seen but it can be found here.

Eomer, Marshall of the Riddermark
+ horse, shield
Erkenbrand
+ horse
6 Rohan Royal Guard
+ horse, throwing weapons
12 Riders of Rohan
16 Warriors of Rohan
+ shields, throwing weapons
5 Warriors of Rohan
+ shields
Warrior of Rohan
+ banner

Haldir
+ armour, elf bow
Wood Elf Captain
16 Wood Elf Warriors
+ elf blades, throwing weapons
8 Wood Elf Warriors
+ wood elf spears, elf bows
8 Wood Elf Warriors
+ wood elf spears
4 Wood Elf Warriors
+ elven cloaks, elf bows

1199 pts
80 models
11 might

Pros: A good balance of high fight value and numbers, a decent amount of elven archery in addition to all the throwing weapons available. It has a strong and versatile cavalry contingent, capable of causing damage at range or up close and having the option of dividing itself without becoming vulnerable. Three Fv6 Heroes is a also considerable advantage, hopefully providing an edge over any Wraiths.

Cons: Universaly low defence making the entire force rather vulnerable to misssile fire, although the large amounts of D5 and 3 do give an advantage when facing S4. Potential of being swamped by tough, massed infantry and huge risk of taking overwhelming casualties very quickly if this is allowed to happen.

Tactics: Advance with WoR w/throwing spears protecting WE w/spears - hopefully offering the elves protection from missiles. This double line could extend and become a single line if bowfire is not a problem, increasing its front and increasing the likely hood of being able to envelop. WE w/blades are used as a flanking force, making full use of their throwing weapons, while the WE w/cloaks either form a volley with the other bow-armed elves or snipe at key models from the safety of a wood - hopefully distracting attention and models from the mainstay of the fighting. Alternatively they can be used to hold/gain objectives in games like Domination. The cavlary can either sit back and volley, shoot directly while moving around the enemy lines, tackle oposing cavalry or strike vulnerable parts of his army. Potentially, the RRG and Hero(es) can split off and take out minor threats while the RoR soften up main opponent with constant bowfire.

So - any thoughts? Very Happy

While I'm here I'd also like to put to you another list. This is one that my younger brother is working on; he says he may or not enter the competition in an official (by joining the site) or unofficial (through me) way. But in any case, below is his list, its very much still 'in the rough' so any and all C+C are most welcome.

Lurtz
Ugluk
Sharku
+ shield
12 Warg Riders
+ shields
12 Uruk-hai Scouts
+ orc bows
12 Uruk-hai Scouts
+ shields
12 Feral Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Captain
+ heavy armour, shield
Uruk-hai Shaman
10 Uruk-hai Warriors
+ shields
10 Uruk-hai Warriors
+ pikes
2 Uruk-hai Warriors
+ banner
10 Orc Warriors
+ spears
8 Orcs Warriors
+ orcs bows

1199pts
93 models
12 might

Pros: High on S4, sevaral dangerous combat Heros, good spread of might, sizeable Warg contingent, decent sized pike block.

Cons: Lacks decent bowfire, several units vulnerable to missile fire, lacks any 'big' Heroes.

Don't quite know how my brother would use it but a few of my own points:
- Would it be better to take a big group of crossbows - and drop the orcs bows altogether?
- Perhaps finding room for a Wraith would be a good idea?
- Is it worth taking an Isengard Troll to threaten 'higher tier' Heroes?

Thanks again
AW

Last edited by ArtificialWinter on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed your link :))
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

Main Army : Khand

MoMe Award Winner - Best Signature/Avatar One That Sees From Afar

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:19 am

Looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing this army finished Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaws900
Conqueror
Conqueror

jaws900

MoMe Award Winner - Funniest Poster

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 7:07 am

i like both. Puts my force to shame really.
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks guys Smile It'll be interesting to see what other people have come up with. I'll let you know about my sibling ASAP - although his list is likely to change before the competition starts.

Oh, and thanks Fen - I forgot to preview the post... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
LordFenrir
The Dog Lord
The Dog Lord

LordFenrir

Main Army : Khand

MoMe Award Winner - Best Signature/Avatar One That Sees From Afar

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:02 am

No problem, it happens to all of us Smile
Back to top Go down
Radagastbird
Warrior
Warrior

Radagastbird

Main Army : Dwarves

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 am

Very nice list ArticificialWinter! Your brothers isn't the kind I would play but is starting out well. I would encourage him to use a Bob-the-Budget wraith as they are harder to stop as compared to a troll (smaller base and can affect from a distance plus courage malus is nice). Of course it is his list and I am by no means an expert when it comes to Isengard Smile

Cheers,
Radagast
Back to top Go down
ArtificialWinter
Maiar
Maiar

ArtificialWinter

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks Radagast Smile

Yeh, I was thinking along those lines too. I'll suggest it to him but I think he's leaning toward a more thematically 'pure' Isengard list - but then again, a Wraith wouldn't look all that out of place...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.   ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list. Empty

Back to top Go down

ArtificialWinter's "Build Me an Army" list.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top